By Nick Valentin
As we count down the days of the Spring semester, start preparing for finals, and say goodbye to the class of 2023, there is no shortage of things to look back upon from the year’s second half. In a year that has seemingly flown by, reflecting on another wonderful year at King is important!
From news around the world to news around King, let us take the time to look back on this year together.
Around The World
- On February 6, 2023, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the countries of Turkey and Syria early in the morning. At the center of this natural disaster was the Turkish city of Gaziantep. Furthermore, this disaster was followed by a 7.5 magnitude aftershock to the North of Gaziantep 10 hours later. The total reparation cost is estimated at 2 trillion Turkish Liras.
- With another full year of college basketball in the books, the well-anticipated March Madness has concluded once more. This year’s tournament saw the LSU Tigers taking home the trophy over the Iowa Hawkeyes on the women’s side of the bracket. On the men’s side, we saw the UConn Huskies take down the San Diego State Aztecs to secure their fifth national championship.
- One of the top stories from 2022 is still popular in this calendar year. That story is about the war between Russia and Ukraine. The latest update on the war is that cities, including Kyiv, Kharkiv, Lviv, and Odesa, have been hit by Russian missiles thus far. Furthermore, heavy fighting continues around Bakhmut in the east of the country. With no peace in sight, there is no telling how long this war might last.
Around King and Tennessee
- On March 27, 2023, a tragic mass shooting occurred in Nashville, Tennessee. The shooting happened at Covenant School, a religious private school in Nashville. The event left three adults and three nine-year-olds dead. Moreover, the shooter was identified as Audrey Hale, a former school student who died at the scene.
- On February 16, King University broke ground for a new outdoor track. The track has been in the works since 2021 and has officially made way for its completion in the fall of 2023. The 3.6-million-dollar project has been highly anticipated for over a year. The university and its students are excited about the new attraction to an already beautiful campus.
- King alum Kendyl Baird (’16) was inducted into the 2022-2023 class of the United Soccer Coaches’ 30 under 30 programs on February 1, 2023. She is one of only three women to serve as head coach for a men’s team. She is the head men’s soccer coach at Warren Wilson College in North Carolina. This was an accomplishment for her and the entire school.
- “King And Sullins To Present “The Messiah” by the Kayseean
- “Opinion Piece: The Value of Networking” by Brandon Nunley
- “State Street Spots” by Callie Shehan